Society of American Travel Writers
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Quick overview — have you prepared your entry correctly?
Read the following instructions carefully. When done, scroll down to submit your photos.
1. File size and format: JPEG file format is mandatory. The files should be 3000 pixels (on the long side) at 300 PPI.
2. Photos entered must have been shot between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2019 and have not won a cash award in a previous Muster competition. Any photos shot outside of this time period will be disqualified. Please be prepared to submit metadata information that provides capture dates and times if requested.
3. Number of entries
- Photographer of the Year portfolios: 20 images
- Single Subject portfolios: 10 images per portfolio (may enter one Single Subject portfolio and up to 10 images in individual categories, or two portfolios for a total of 20 images).
- Individual Category competition: Enter up to 20 images total to be judged only within their category, not as a complete portfolio.
4. Naming files (see “file naming procedures” for details). Any photo file names that do not follow the described naming procedure will be disqualified:
- POY — example: 01_7898_POY_Cul1_17.jpg
- SS — example: 01_7898_SS1_Cul1_17.jpg
- Individual Category — example: 7898_Cul1_17.jpg
5. Category abbreviations for file names:
- Action/Adventure – Act
- Animal – Ani
- Cultural – Cul
- Natural Scenic – Nat
- People General – PG
- People Portrait – PP
6. Not allowed: altering photos by adding or removing objects, backgrounds, or skies; compositing by combining two or more photos with different elements such as a moon; adding colors or textures not in the original capture; and other major alterations that transform the image into something significantly different than the original capture.
Paying for your submission(s)
You can process payment for you submission(s) here.
During last year’s Muster competition, a number of photos and portfolios were disqualified because some entrants did not follow competition rules. Some photos submitted were taken prior to the allowable two-year time limit. Others failed to follow naming guidelines and lacked category, date, and/or photographer ID number.
All photos taken outside the two-year time limit or that do not follow the naming guidelines will be automatically disqualified. This may include your entire portfolio being disqualified. All entrants should be prepared to submit metadata as necessary that verifies your photos were taken within the stated two-year time frame.
Important: Repeat offenders will not be permitted to enter the competition the following year.